World Heritage Site Tour
06 Nights and 07 Days
Arrive inSri Lanka. You will be met by a representative of VMS Travels and transferred to Negombo.
Rest of the day leisure
Overnight stay at PARADISE BEACH OR JETWING BLUE, Negombo
After breakfast leave for sigiriya. En route visit Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
* Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage - Started in 1975 to house the abandoned and the wounded, the orphanage has grown to be a big family today. A unique experience never to be missed
On completion transfer to Sigiriya via Dambulla
* Dambulla is a vast isolated rock mass 500ft high and a mile around the base. Here is found the famousRockTemple dating to the First Century BC. The caves of Dambulla sheltered the King Walagamba during his 14 years of exile fromAnuradhapura. When he regained the throne he built the most magnificent of Rock Temples to be found on theIsland.
* Sigiriya is home to the 5th Century “Fortress in the Sky” which is perhaps the most fantastic single wonder of theIsland. It is also known as Lion Rock because of the huge lion that used to stand at the entrance to the fortress. Within its triple-moated defence the huge rock rises almost to a sheer height of 500ft. On its summit are the foundations of what was once a great and sumptuous palace and gardens complete with swimming pool. On one of the stairways the only known ancient work of Sinhala secular painting survived in the form of Frescoes of life sized damsels in all the freshness and delicacy of their original colour.
Overnight stay at KASSAPA LION ROCK OR SIGIRIYA VILLAGE, Sigiriya.
After breakfast leave for Polonnaruwa and visit polonnaruwa sightseeing.
* Polonnaruwa - the Capital of Sri Lanka from 11th - 13th Century, contains some splendid and spectacular statues. Lankatileke, Tivanka and Thuparama are the most beautiful and largest shrine ruins and Tivanka has the best example of frescoes of the Polonnaruwa period. Rankot Vihara and Kiriwehera are well preserved large stupas, and Gal Vihare - a rock shrine, has four Buddha statues, two seated, one standing and one reclining and Parakrama Bahu statue are examples of Sinhalese stone carver. The Vata-da-ge is a unique creation of the Sri Lankan artists.
On completion transfer to Anuradapura.
Overnight stay at HERITAGE HOTEL OR PALM GARDEN VILLAGE, Anuradapura
After breakfast visit Anuradapura sightseeing.
Anuradhapura is the most celebrated of Sri Lanka’s ancient ruined cities. The city’s greatest treasures are its dagabas constructed of small sun-dried bricks and hemispherical in shape. The most notable of these dagabas are the Ruvanveli which dates back to the 2nd Century BC and is 300ft in diameter, the Jetawanarama is 370ft and the Thuparama which enshrines the collarbone of the Buddha. The city’s most renowned relic is the sacred Bo-Tree which is said to have grown from a branch of the tree under which the Buddha gained enlightenment. It was planted 2250 years ago and is the oldest historic tree in the world.
Thereafter leave forKandy. En route visit a spice garden and batik factory in Matale.
* Spice Garden at Matale and see the luscious Cinnamons, Cardamons, Pepper plants etc. You can also purchase your requirements of spices.
* Batik Factory where you can see the manufacture of beautiful Batik prints. The shop contains a wide variety of Batik items.
Overnight stay at HILL TOP OR CINNAMON CITADEL, Kandy.
After breakfast commence city tour ofKandy, includingUpper Lake Drive,Market Square,Templeof the Sacred Tooth Relic and theRoyalBotanical Gardens.
* Kandy - the hill capital. Venue of the annual Perahera. The last stronghold of the Sinhala Kings was finally ceded to the British in 1815.Kandy is an example of the Buddhism’s influence inSri Lanka today.Temple’s shrines and monasteries keeping alive Buddhist traditions are everywhere.
* Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic - ever since 4th Century A.D, when the Buddha’s Tooth was brought to Sri Lanka hidden from sacrilegious hands in an Orissan princess’ hair, the Relic has grown in repute and holiness in Sri Lanka and throughout the Buddhist world. It is consideredSri Lanka’s most prized possession.
* Royal Botanical Gardens, Peradeniya, Sixty Seven hectares of exquisite beauty and botanical treasurers containing more than 4000 species, this is haven not only for Scientists but to every nature lover as well.
Thereafter proceed to Bentota.
Overnight stay at INDURUWA BEACH OR BENTOTA BEACH, Bentota
After breakfast proceed to Galle & commence sightseeing of Galle.
* Galle - Sri Lanka’s most historically interesting town is Galle. Built on a premonitory rock in the south of theIsland. It was a major port until about 100 years, but today still handles shipping and sailing boats in the natural harbour.
Stroll around the Light House and harbour or visit the old town where you can see the traditional lace makers and carvers and purchase some the finest shell-craft souvenirs in the world.
On completion return to Colombo & afternoon commence city tour of Colombo.
* Colombo a drive through the city taking you to the busy commercial areas as well as the tree-lined residential, Cinnamon Gardens. Visit Fort, the former British administrative center and military garrison,Sea Street - the Goldsmith’s quarters in the heart of Pettah, the Bazaar area, where is also aHinduTemple with elaborate stone carvings and theDutchChurch of Wolfendhal dating back to 1749. The historic Dawatagaha Mosque and the formerEyeHospital are two buildings inCinnamonGardens worth looking at. Also visit the BMICH, see the replica of Avukana Buddha and theIndependence Square.
Overnight stay at RAMADA OR CINNOMAN GRAND, Colombo
After breakfast transfer to the airport for departure